Holistic specifically refers to regarding an individual on all their levels: physically; mentally/emotionally; and spiritually. The Holistic approach to massage rejects the traditional idea of mere treatment of the individual as limited to soft tissue manipulation and incorporates recognized concepts of holistic care. Students learn to develop and provide services that treat the entire client within the scope of their training - now expanded beyond the orthodox idea of a sole physical dimension.
The Associate of Science Degree and Certificate Programs in Massage Therapy both provide theory and practical experience to prepare graduates to take the National Certification Examination for Massage and Bodywork required for licensure as a Massage Therapist by the third semester, if the student wishes.
To take any hands-on course, students must be matriculated into the degree program in massage therapy at Nashua Community College or another institution; or already be a licensed therapist.
ASSOCIATE IN SCIENCE IN HOLISTIC MASSAGE THERAPY
|MASS101N||Swedish Massage I||2||3||3|
|MASS102N||A & P for Massage and Bodywork||3||2||4|
|General Education Core: History/Political Science||3||0||3|
|MASS121N||Swedish Massage II||2||3||3|
|MASS141N||Oriental Theory and Concepts||3||0||3|
|General Education Core: Behavioral Social Science||3||0||3|
|MASS126N||Massage Therapy Rules & Ethics||1||0||1|
|MASS233N||Clinical Evaluation and Treatment||2||3||3|
|MASS135N||Deep Tissue Massage||1||2||2|
|MASS119N||Massage Business Practices||3||0||3|
|MASSxxxN||Massage/Wellness Electives (2 or 3 courses)||6|
|CHWN101N||Foundations of Health and Wellness||3||0||3|
|General Education Core: English/Communications||3||0||3|
|MATH103N||Topics in Applied College Mathematics - OR -|
|General Education Core: Quantitative Literacy||3||0||3/4|
|General Education: Elective||3||0||3|
|General Education Core: Humanities/Fine Arts OR Global Awareness||3||0||3|
|MASS290N||Clinical Internship: A Capstone Experience||0||9||3|
|Total 66/67 Credits|
Upon the completion of the degree in Holistic Massage Therapy, graduates will be able to:
- Discuss the scope, definition, history and approaches of holistic massage therapy as compared to other health professionals.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the human body systems as understood by Western and Asian/Eastern sciences.
- Understand and show knowledge of anatomy (structure and/or location), physiology (function), pathology (disease) and kinesiology (movement.)
- Explain and apply Asian concepts, principles and approaches to the body including Traditional Chinese Medicine, meridian systems and Five Element theory.
- Understand and apply therapeutic massage and bodywork assessment methods.
- Construct and implement a massage session plan for each client using theory (physiological, emotional/psychological, energetic), methods, tools and techniques (strokes) of therapeutic massage therapy.
- Show understanding of professional standards, ethics, boundary setting, business and legal practices in massage.
- Demonstrate the ability to use computer information technology to gather resource information, organize business bookkeeping records and help maintain client notes and documentation.
- Use effective interpersonal skills to model listening, nurturing, genuine concern and empathy critical to touch therapy.
- Demonstrate proficiency in client interviewing, record keeping and oral communication.