The program is designed to meet current and future needs of the food service industry in which the demand for employment is high; employing more than nine million jobs annually in the United States. Students enrolled in the Culinary Arts program receive "hands-on", practical lab training paired with traditional academic culinary courses that are aligned with industry needs.
ASSOCIATE IN SCIENCE IN CULINARY ARTS
|CULA102N||Principles of Culinary Arts||2||2||3|
|CULA105N||Food Safety and Sanitation||2||2||3|
|CULA110N||Basic Food Preparation||1||4||3|
|FYE101N||First Year Experience||1||0||1|
|MATH103N Topics in Applied College Mathematics||3||0||3|
|BCPT101N||Computer Technology and Applications||2||2||3|
|CULA112N||American Regional Cuisine||1||4||3|
|CULA120N||Fundamentals of Baking||1||4||3|
|General Education: Open Elective||3||0||3|
|CULA210N||Intermediate Food Preparation||1||4||3|
|CULA220N||Food Service Purchasing and Cost Controls||2||0||2|
|General Education Core: Humanities/Fine Arts||3||0||3|
|General Education Core: History/Political Science||3||0||3|
|CULA235N||Dining Room Service||1||4||3|
|General Education Core: English/Communications||3||0||3|
|CULA290N Culinary Internship*||1||9||4|
Total 69 Credits
A student must earn a "C" or better in Culinary Arts classes in order to progress to the next class.
Upon the completion of the degree in Culinary Arts, graduates will be able to:
- Work effectively in commercial food production environments such as restaurants, hotels and resorts, private clubs and institutional foodservice, catering, and other food related businesses.
- Apply skills in communication and interpersonal relationships, safety and sanitation, industry terminology, and leadership.
- Utilize knowledge in many forms of cookery, hot and cold food preparation, soups and sauces, buffet presentations, dining room service, beverage management, and storeroom procedures.
- Interpret weights and measurements, calculate and execute standard recipes, and understand and implement cost controls and inventories.
- Demonstrate appropriate work ethic through proper conduct and dress.
- Demonstrate the importance of diversity as it relates to food and culture.
- Identify the benefits of continued professional growth.