Accidents happen, and the challenges of automotive collision repair are becoming increasingly complex. Our Associates in Science degree in Collision Repair Technology provides you with the skills and technology training necessary for building a strong and stable career.
Our two-year degree program consists of a “hands-on” lab where you will learn how to perform all the many different types of collision repairs. Each damaged vehicle has unique repair issues, and you will learn how to tackle these problems through practical and state-of-the-art repair techniques. You will learn and apply the skills of panel replacement, frame repair and straightening, refinishing and painting vehicles, and interior replacement in our modern facility. Your training also will include course work that explores the theory of collision repair and general education courses. Our experienced faculty guides your high-tech training, and you will receive plenty of individual instruction with our small class size.
So Much More: The NCC Advantage
Career Options: A technically trained collision specialist has high-income potential and numerous job opportunities in the collision industry. Job opportunities include repair technician, refinishing technician, automotive frame technician, damage estimator, shop manager, sales representative, and detailer. Our faculty works with businesses and industry to place students in appropriate jobs.
Live Work—Learn By Doing: You will be exposed to a wide range of actual collision problems and learn by performing real work on real cars (even your own).
Transfer Options: Our Associates of Science degree provides you with more general education courses (compared to applied science degrees), making your degree more transferable to numerous bachelor’s degree programs.
Experienced Faculty: Our faculty knows cars and is passionate about automotive technology and collision repair. All faculty members are ASE Master Certified and bring experience from working in the automotive industry and from running their own automotive repair businesses.
Convenient and Affordable: The cost of our program is significantly lower than that of other national collision repair programs.
Enroll Today and prepare to reap the rewards of a career in the collision repair industry.
- A minimum of one year of high school Algebra I is recommended.
- Basic skills in written English are required.
- A basic automotive tool kit and roll cabinet are required. Substantial discounts are available to enrolled students. An annual "Tool Day" takes place in late August for students needing tools or tool kits. Approximate tool kit cost is between $1,600 and $3,500 (prices subject to change).
- Students are expected to posses a good work ethic and a strong desire to learn.
ASSOCIATE IN SCIENCE in COLLISION REPAIR TECHNOLOGY
|AUTO121N||Automotive Service and Maintenance**||2||4||4|
|CRTN101N||Basic Collision Repair**||2||6||4|
|AUTO114N||Automotive Suspension and Steering||2||4||4|
|CRTN105N||Basic Auto Body Refinishing||2||6||4|
|MATH103N||Topics in Applied College Mathematics - OR|
|General Education Core: Quantitative Literacy||3/4||0||3/4|
|General Education: Open Elective||3||0||3|
|General Education Core: English/Communications||3||0||3|
|AUTO113N||Automotive Electricity & Wiring||2||3||3|
|CRTN201N||Advanced Collision Repair||2||4||4|
|CRTN210N||Structural Analysis and Repair||2||4||4|
|PHYS101N||Physical Science 1||3||2||4|
|CRTN235N||Collision Mechanical & Electrical Systems||2||3||3|
|General Education Core: History/Political Science||3||0||3|
|AUTO221N||Automotive Heating & Air Conditioning||2||3||3|
|CRTN225N||Advanced Automotive Refinishing||2||8||5|
|CRTN230N||Collision Estimating & Repair: A Capstone Experience||2||6||4|
|General Education Core: Behavioral Social Science||3||0||3|
|General Education Core: Humanities/Fine Arts OR Global Awareness||3||0||3|
|Total 68/69 Credits|
*This course may be waived by Accuplacer text scores or by Math department placement exam. These credits do not count towards graduation.
**A student must earn a "C" or better to achieve a passing grade in this course.
At the completion of the associate degree in automotive technology, graduates will be able to:
- Evaluate, diagnose, and repair various automotive systems using NATEF guidelines.
- Use technology and basic scientific principles for research and problem solving.
- Employ effective written and oral communication skills.
- Employ effective technical writing skills.
- Utilize mathematical logic and analysis for problem solving.
- Understand the connections between individuals and society.
- Have the ability to achieve ASE Master Certification.
- Perform reading skills at a college level.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills.
Collision Repair Tool List
- safety glasses (OSHA approved)
- 25 foot tape measure (std/metric)
- ear protectors
- fender cover
- tire air inflation chuck with 1/4" lincoln-style air fitting
- tire air pressure gauge
- tire valve core remover
- blow gun, non-restricted with 1/4" lincoln-style air fitting
- flashlight with batteries
- wire brush
- 12" flat mill file
- 10" round file 3/8"
- scraper/putty knife 1"
- hack saw with blades
- 12 volt test light
- digital multi-meter - Fluke 88
- 16 oz. ball peen hammer
- 3 piece pry bar set to include a 24" prybar
- punch/chisel set, center, pin, starter, flat chisel
- screwdriver set, flat blade (regular)
- screwdriver set (Phillips)
- torx bit set for 1/4" and 3/8" drive (10t to 55t)
- vise grip locking pliers set
- vise grip panel clamp assortment
- 6" needle nose pliers
- 7" diagonal cutters
- 9" arc/adjustable joint pliers
- 16" arc/adjustable joint pliers
- 7" electrical crimp/wire stripping/cutting pliers
- high speed drill bit set (1/16" - 1/2")
- hood prop rod
- charcoal filter respirator with organic vapor cartridges
- allen wrench set (SAE)
- allen wrench set (metric)
- combination wrench set (SAE 5/16" - 1")
- combination wrench set (metric 8mm - 19mm)
- adjustable wrench 8"
- mechanics gloves
- magnetic pick-up tool
- door trim removal tool (v-notch clip removal)
- welding gloves
- 1/2" drive socket set to include the following: ratchet, extensions (5" and 10" long), universal joint, breaker bar (18"), shallow SAE sockets 3/8" - 1 1/8", shallow metric sockets 10mm - 19mm
- 3/8" drive socket set to include the following: ratchet, extensions (3", 6", and 12" long), universal joint, shallow SAE sockets 1/4" - 7/8", shallow metric sockets 8mm - 19mm, sparkplug socket 13/16", sparkplug socket 5/8"
- 1/4" drive socket set to include the following: ratchet, extensions (2" and 4" long), universal joint, shallow SAE sockets, shallow metric sockets
- 1/2" drive click type torque wrench
- soft handling block*
- 14" rough curved tooth body file (vixen file)*
- aviation metal snips - left, right and straight
- 6" x 2 3/4" wood sanding board (clip type paper)*
- handle for above file
- 17 1/2" x 2 3/4" wood sanding board (clip type paper)*
- 3" x 5" rubber sanding block*
- 3" x 9" rubber sanding block*
- surform file (half round)*
- short blunt picking hammer*
- long pick hammer*
- low crown dinging spoon*
- general purpose dolly*
- heel dolly*
- gas welding goggles
- roll-away tool cabinet not to exceed 34" in length
- 7"combination/slip joint pliers
Optional Tools - NOT Required
- 1/2" drive impact wrench with Lincoln-style air fitting
- 1/2" drive impact socket set (deep and shallow, SAE and metric)
- 1/2" drive reversible impact wheel lug nut socket and extension (19mm and 21mm)