File-A-FAFSA: A free workshop for the community
The Nashua Community College Office of Financial Aid is hosting a File-A-FAFSA event from 4 – 6 p.m. Wednesday, July 26 in Room 132 in the Library.
Financial aid staff will walk attendees through the process of filing the FAFSA, and will be available to help with any questions.
Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) is the first step toward getting federal aid for college. Federal Aid includes grants, work-study funds, student loans, and Parent PLUS loans.
Before you go: Sign up for the Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID
Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents.
The FSA ID is required to complete the FAFSA.
To create an FSA ID:
- Go to https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm to access the FSA ID.
- Write down – and store in a safe place – the FSA ID username and password you create for the student and one parent. These are case sensitive, so be sure to indicate if the letters are upper or lower case. Do not use any part of your name or date of birth in the password.
- The first two challenge questions must be chosen from the list of drop down options.
- The next two are challenge questions of your choosing. Here are some suggestions for challenge questions: Name of street on which you grew up, Mother’s maiden name, Name of first pet, Name of high school, Spouse’s first name.
- The last question asks you to list a significant date in your life. There is no drop down option - you must choose a date you consider important; some suggestions are your graduation date or anniversary of a special event.
- You will be prompted to verify your email address by accessing a link sent to your email. It is best to use a non-school email that you will continue to use in the future. This is not required to do but you will have to wait between one and three days for your information to be verified with Social Security if you do not use the option to verify the email.
Materials needed to complete the FAFSA
- Completed 2015 Federal Tax Return (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ) and all W2 documents
- Social Security Numbers and Birth Dates for student and parent(s), if parental information is required)
- FSA IDs (username and password) for student and one parent (if required) – see above
- Balance of Cash, Savings, and Checking Accounts
- Balance of Other Non-Retirement Assets and Second Property Equity Information
- List of Colleges/Universities to be sent your information
- NCC School Code: 009236
- Alien Registration Card (if applicable)