Disability Services FAQ at the Academic Success Center

When should I contact NCC about my disability?

Students with disabilities should contact the Disabilities Support Coordinator as soon as possible. This will ensure that the student has enough time to get adequate documentation of his/her disability. Also, students can be given accommodations for the Accuplacer test. Accommodations cannot be given unless students have finished the intake process. All students are encouraged to contact the Disabilities Support Coordinator at least 4-6 weeks prior to the start of the semester that he/she plans to enroll.

What is the difference between services offered for disability students in college vs. high school?

There are many differences, one being that the student is responsible to set up their RAP. To see other differences, please see “High School Vs. College” below.

Do I still have to apply if I had an IEP or 504 in High School or does it just transfer over to college?

You MUST apply with us if you want accommodations. Having an IEP or 504 in high school is helpful for us to look at as part of your application for a Reasonable Accommodations Plan, but it does not guarantee services and there are other requirements required. Please refer to the intake packet or contact the Disabilities Support Coordinator for more information.

Are 504 Plans and IEPs accepted as documentation of a disability at the college level?

IEP's and Section 504 plans are not accepted as the sole form of documentation of a disability. They will be accepted along with current evaluations. If you had an IEP in high school and are coming directly to college, chances are you were evaluated by the high school in the last 3 years and would not need to be re-evaluated. Be sure to contact your high school for copies of these to include in your application packet.

Will I receive the same accommodations that I received in high school?

Students should not assume that accommodations provided in high school will also be given in college. Also, in high school some IEP’s contained modifications as well as accommodations. The college provides reasonable accommodations but does not modify course content or objectives; accommodations are provided to ensure equal ACCESS.

What types of classroom accommodations are considered?

Examples of possible classroom accommodations are: 50% extended time on tests and quizzes, quiet room for testing, use of a digital recorder in class, use of a four function calculator in math, etc. Accommodations can vary based upon needs and type of disability.

I have/ think I have a learning disability but I do not have current documentation or I have never been tested. What should I do?

If you feel you have a disability, it is best to have an evaluation during your junior/senior year of high school. If you have graduated or the high school will not provide the re-evaluation, you should meet with a qualified professional in your local area. Costs incurred for obtaining appropriate documentation are the responsibility of the student and are not provided by the college.

If you have questions, you may want to talk to your PCP (your private insurance MAY cover it), a licensed psychologist/psychiatrist who can do the testing (or knows someone who can) or you can contact Vocational Rehab if you are currently receiving services from them. The evaluator will decide the battery of tests to give you based on your situation.

K -12


Education is a RIGHT and must be provided in an appropriate environment to ALL individuals.

Education is NOT a RIGHT. Students must meet certain admissions criteria defined under ADA as "otherwise qualified."

School district is responsible to identify a student's disability.

Students must SELF-IDENTIFY with Disability Services.

School district provides free testing, evaluation and transportation to program.

Student must provide current and appropriate documentation. If it is not adequate, the student can attain an evaluation at his or her own cost.

School district develops the Individualized Education Plans (IEP) to define educational services.

NO IEP is developed in college, as there is no special education. Please do not submit the IEP for services.

Through the school district the IEP Team determines all IEP supports and services that will be provided.

The student is responsible to activate the approved services at the start of each semester.

Fundamental alteration of programs and curricula are required.

No fundamental alterations are required.

Personal services for medical or physical disability are required.

No personal services are required.