Academic Advising FAQ

  1. What is Academic Advising?
    Academic Advising is a partnership between a student and academic adviser. The intent of this partnership is to assist the student in developing and reaching meaningful educational goals based on personal interests, values and abilities.

  2. What should I know about my first semester? As with other changes you make in your life, attending college will require some adjustment and transition. If you are working you now have to juggle a job, classes, homework, family and life in general. Together with your academic adviser, you can explore some strategies for managing your new commitments along with your existing responsibilities.

  3. How do I find out who my Academic Adviser is?
    Sign in to Student Information Systems and select the Student tab, click on Student Records link and select MY ADVISER. You can contact the Advising Center if you have any questions.

  4. What can you expect from an adviser?
    Advising may involve helping you:

    • select an academic program
    • understand NCC processes and procedures
    • select and register for courses
    • add /drop a course
    • change your major
    • assistance with transfer to a four year institution
  5.  When do I register for classes?
    Dates for registration are published on the NCC website.

  6. What do I need to do to transfer to a four year college?
    Make an appointment to meet with your adviser to discuss transfer opportunities and the steps to take to insure a smooth transition. Look at the website for information on New Hampshire public and some private colleges and universities.

  7. How do I obtain an official copy of my transcript?
    To obtain an official transcript, you must complete an Authorization to Release a Transcript form and submit it to the Registrar's Office. You can request it through SIS.

Academic Success Center